I agree with Erik.

> This distinction between docstrings vs. comments has never been the Sage
> practice: Sage practice and official policy has always been to use
> docstrings. Part of the point is that Sage has intentionally tried to blur
> the line between user and developer, so any documentation should be made as
> widely available, and as easily available, as possible.

Perhaps this was a practice and reality when Sage was not mature. But for
future and for better software, the right direction should be to make the
line clear.  I (We are) am not a user and a developer at the same time:
When I am a user, I would see docstrings and help on a terminal or in a web
browser. When I am a developer, I would read the comments in the file as
well as the docstrings. When I am a user, I hate to see irrelevant
implementation or development details.

For original post and that particular example, I would add docstrings for
all the four functions.