Otherwise it sets `$(inst_<spkg>)` to a
dummy file that always exists (this way any dependencies for that
package are still satisfied, but the spkg is never actually
built/installed).

Let me mention *why* I came up with this dummy file: even if configure detects that a Sage package is not needed, it can still be explicitly installed by

sage -i PKGNAME    # This is essentially the same as "make PKGNAME"

If I understand your proposal, if a system package is used, sage -i PKGNAME will *not* install the Sage package since the "spkg" is satisfied by the system package.

Personally, I find it more intuitive if "sage -i PKGNAME" would unconditionally install the Sage package PKGNAME, even if PKGNAME was detected as system package.

By default, all packages would be installed from the sage-dist source
as is the case now.

I wonder why you propose this. The reason why we check for gcc for example is because we want to avoid building the Sage package if we can. If you go to the trouble of adding a check for system packages, the default should be to *not* install the Sage package if the system package works.

Apart from these two points, I totally agree with your post. Now to find a volunteer to implement all that :-)

Jeroen.