William,

These papers are quite fascinating :

ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/mirror/python/pycon/papers/populationsim.html
http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/16/1/8.html

This package studies population dynamics of mosquitoes
: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/albopictus/0.3

I found some small implementations and case studies but didn't find many
extensive packages with user friendly API's.