This does seem to be new.  In Sage 7.2 (just one that I had handy),
sage: sorted([1,2,'a'])
sage: sorted([1r,2r,'a'])
This isn't that surprising, since the semantics of comparison have been
changing because of the upcoming switch to python 3.  But I think that Sage
integers should compare the same as python ints, so I've opened a ticket
#23590 <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23590>.
David