Thanks Emmanuel for the discussion summary.

Le mardi 24 octobre 2017 20:58:17 UTC+2, Emmanuel Charpentier a écrit :

> It is true. But we are hoisted by our own petard : from our tutorial
> <http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/tutorial/introduction.html> :
> "The Sage download file comes with “batteries included”. In other words,
> although Sage uses Python, IPython, PARI, GAP, Singular, Maxima, NTL, GMP,
> and so on, you do not need to install them separately as they are included
> with the Sage distribution."
> I fail to see how this would not apply to OpenSSL (under the heading "and
> so on")...

I have the feeling that the current tendency is towards a more modular and
lighter Sage, which deviates from the original "batteries included"
philosophy. Maybe the latter should be rephrased as "mathematical batteries
included". This would exclude standard "technical"  software like OpenSSL,
which should be provided systemwide.

Eric.