Dear Marteen,

Le vendredi 27 octobre 2017 16:02:03 UTC+2, Maarten Derickx a écrit :

> Why a separate git branch and not make it something configurable, like
> building sage with gmp vs mpir?

Because those are not the same cases :

a) there is no currently (to the best of my limited knowledge) , strong
reasons to choose one over the other,
b) they give (modulo my limited knoiwledge, again) roughly the same
possibilities to Sage,
c) there are people able, and **volunteering**, to maintaint this
alternative.

In the case of OpenSSL not having OpenSSL:

a) doesn't give us anything but the ability to do without a package deemed
"GPL incompatible" (in the sense that we currently cannot ship it  with
Sage)
b) deprives R and pip users of an useful ability (deemed mandatory by R
authors)
c) forces us to maintain a patch that is of no use to what I think a
majority of Sage users.

The point made by William about security issues is also to be considered ;
but I'm not an expert...

--
Emmanuel Charpentier