I kind of missed the beginning because of a zulip problem (it was disconnected
after
an OS update and didn’t notice). Also for me time zone :P
Nevertheless me and Frederic Chapoton had some private email exchange about
starting
sage with python3.
Short answer: yes it does.
Long answer: his experimental branch enables to build a starting sage with
python3.6
and then you have a host of new problems once you start something non-trivial
(darn unicode).
The branch also breaks starting and building sage documentation in two places.

François