+1

Would make sense to come up with topics (we are discussing it right now in this thread). And then, we could set up a date poll for each of them. (Might be what you were suggesting)

For the themtaics, I will be up for

 * Python 3

 * (Random) testing / speed regression

1) the test suite should not be that long (e.g. there are some places with duplicated and long doctest). I would like - the short testsuite to run fast (e.g. "sage -tp --all" running in less than 5 minutes) - have the long testsuite one reasonably fast (i.e. no "long doctest" warning in any circumstance) - introduce a new flag for very long doctest that can not be avoided (e.g. they carefully check a bug that appear only in huge dimensions). These will be run by patchbots only in the rc release cycle.

2) Specify and test the random generators (random_element is now unpredictible).

3) In the flint testsuite they also have specific random generators to test examples (e.g. on polynomials such random generator is likely to return 0 or 1 or x or x^100 + 1). It would make sense to adapt this strategy in Sage. I would actually get rid of the methods `some_elements` and just have a hidden `_random_test_elements()`. I do not see the point of having this method public

* Clean and finish the categorification. That is all the mess that appear in tab completion as soon as you inherit from sage.structure.Element (like base_ring). Also get rid of the last old parent classes.

* And for more mathematical things I am more likely to develop/debug the parts that are related to my research at the time I need them. So I would be happy with some review sessions where people post and review tickets. But nothing dedicated to a specific area.

Vincent