On 2017-12-07, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2017-12-02 01:24, d...@shorewestern.com wrote:
>> communicative human nature yearns for
>> abbreviation
>
> My impression is that this is mostly an American phenomenon.

When I did my PhD in Strasbourg, I thought it was a French
phenomenon. Unless you see a clear distinction between an abbreviation
and an acronym.

I often wondered about acronyms written on signs around university.
Once, when I was about to enter the building of IRMA
(clearly: Institut de recherche mathématique avancée, which is also
"known" as UMR 7501), someone asked me for directions. More precisely,
he asked me (translated to English): "Where do I find [some random
combination of letters]?"
So, that guy not only used the acronym in speaking (instead of only
in writing), but he also took it for granted that everybody
understands a random acronym.

In German, we have an abbreviation for "compulsive abbreviation
disorder": Aküfi ("Abkürzungsfimmel", which roughly means
"abbrevimania").

That said, I consider SageMath to be a name.

OT, but anyway...

Regards,
Simon