On 2017-12-10 22:29, Nicolas M. Thiery wrote:
As far as I remember, it's stipulated that any Parent should be in
Sets.

I don't think that this is stipulated somewhere. I also feel that this shouldn't be a hard requirement. I think that the low-level basic stuff (I consider creating elements amongst that) should work without categories and that categories should only be used for additional functionality on top of that.

Is there a use case where having this in Parent would be preferable?

I can think of two reasons: the first is efficiency. Implementing stuff in Parent is faster than doing it in categories. Second (as Travis also said), creating elements is partially implemented in Parent and partially in Sets. This is quite confusing and it would be best to do this in one place.

Jeroen.