On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:43:45 AM UTC-7, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

> Two chronic offenders are Maxima's solver and differential equation
> solver(s), which routinely add new symbolic constants as required by their
> inputs. In these cases, getting the names of these new variables and
> properly declaring them for future use can become a pain in the ass.
>
> In these cases (and other possible automatic variable creation i do dot
> have in mind currently), such auto_declare behaviour should be the
> *default*.
>
> These are separate issues. The option "automatic_names"  inserts bindings
to SR symbols when code that is interactively input references an unbound
name (and would raise a NameError). That's orthogonal to SR symbols that
get created without being bound to a "global" name. The latter creation may
even happen when there's no interactive namespace present in the system,
and certainly no obvious reference to one would be available. That means
it's not even clear where to insert the binding.

Implementing the feature in IPython is exactly the right place, because
that DOES have a good notion of what the interactive namespace would be. I
assume CoCalc behaves (largely) as IPython for API purposes.