On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 8:59:27 AM UTC-7, Frédéric Chapoton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> here is a small report on the *slow* progress towards
> python3-compatibility for sage.
>
> Sage is already building and starting with python3 since some time
> already. It is explained in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15530 how to
> get a python3-sage. One can note an even longer startup time (sigh).
>
> There has been recent progress on the pexpect interfaces and lib
> interfaces, so this sage3 is now somewhat usable. Try it !
>
> Congratulations and thank you for the hard work on something that is
ultimately absolutely required.

> Our next goal is to get the documentation build. After that, one will have
> to make all doctest pass, but we are still a *long* way from that.
> Another interesting step would be to be able to launch the jupyter
> notebook with sage3. Currently, it looks for the sage kernel in the python2
> library (no ticket yet).

That's sage.repl.ipython_kernel.SageKernelSpec._kernel_cmd, which currently
invokes "$SAGE_LOCAL/bin/sage --python". If you change that to "--python3"
it should be OK. I guess we can have two kernel specs: sage/Py3 and
sage/Py3. [on a different note, it would also be useful to use a "sage"
executable that can figure out $SAGE_ROOT from scratch. Then the kernelspec
is usable with arbitrary jupyters]