On 2018-06-07 13:24, Timo Kaufmann wrote:
I don't really agree but even if that was the case, the PARI stackwarn
patch could have been handled through filtering within sage instead
(which I proposed in that ticket).

You proposed filtering *in the testsuite*. That comes back to my point about fixing the testsuite: filtering in the testsuite only makes the tests pass, but it doesn't really fix anything for end users.

The problem with your proposal is that in many cases, it is hard or impossible to work around the bug. For example, I have no idea how to "work around" build/pkgs/glpk/patches/error_recovery.patch

So if you don't want to patch the upstream package, then the only remaining option is making Sage worse (either by not implementing the functionality which requires the patch, or by accepting that a bug cannot be fixed).

I'm biased of course.

We are all biased in our own ways...

I should also add that my opinion is my opinion only. Other SageMath developers may have different opinions.