> And I'm not saying there should be absolutely no patches, just that they
>> should be the very last resort.
>>

> I mostly agree with this, it's what I'm already doing. It just depends
> where you put the borderline of "very last resort" and there we probably
> differ.

For example the `backports.shutil_get_terminal_size` patch: It pretty much
only fixes a formatting issue in the error messages right? I don't see that
as last resort.

> But I don't see how this would help distributions. As long as a package
> has at least 1 essential patch (even a 1-liner in the case of GLPK),
> distros have to deal with it.

That assumes that there always is an essential patch already. And even if
there is, two patches don't have the same cost as one. They have to both be
checked, understood, documented and maybe discussed with a maintainer (who
does not see sage as his primary priority).