Regarding SnapPy:

I had the usual SSL problems on Mac, so I did as suggested
at https://www.math.uic.edu/t3m/SnapPy/installing.html#sagemath and

sage -i openssl
sage -f python2

did indeed get me to actually download SnapPy.  But then I got (even when
using ./sage -pip install --no-binary :all: snappy) the following:

    Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:

    Please put "# distutils: language=c++" in your .pyx or .pxd file(s)

    Traceback (most recent call last):

      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

      File
"/private/var/folders/k8/nj0z1bkd11dcs1v5hbh_tknc92p43w/T/pip-build-41Ncor/snappy/setup.py",

line 435, in <module>

        new = max(os.path.getmtime(file) for file in
glob('cython/core/*.pyx'))

    ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence
Since I don't actually use SnapPy but was testing out the installation for
a friend, that was kind of disappointing.  Any clues?  This is with 8.3.rc0
(I didn't see anything indicating I needed an 8.4 beta).

- kcrisman