As pointed out by Samuel last month [1] the transition freeze (i.e.
new package versions) for the next major Debian release (buster) is
coming up January 12 [2].  This is important for Sage and those
working to package Sage for Debian, as it will impact what version of
Sage is available in Debian, and by extension big name Debian-based
distributions such as Ubuntu and Mint that carry with them probably
the majority of users on Linux.

Setting what version of Sage will be in Debian, prior to the freeze,
is not such a big deal in its own right as not many packages depend on
Sage.  However, it does impact what versions of Sage's many
dependencies can be included, and GAP perhaps has the largest impact
there, as there are also many packages that depend on GAP (mostly GAP
packages).

The biggest sticking point right now to packaging Sage for Debian is
thus what version of GAP can go in Debian as well (and I don't think
the GAP community will be too happy about it if the GAP version gets
held back because of Sage; though the more likely outcome there is
that Sage gets held back (or excluded entirely) if it can't work with
the new GAP).

Thus some of us have been working hard to find a working convergence
between Sage and GAP 4.10.x.  That work is nearly ready [3] (pending
some needed patches to GAP), and given the normal rate of Sage's
release cycle it would be a shame to have this work excluded from Sage
8.5, considering that it is the major blocker for Debian.

Therefore I propose doing a few more rounds of Sage 8.5 pre-releases
specifically with the focus of upgrading GAP: Completing #22626 which
I think will be ready-enough by tomorrow (I would prefer to wait until
GAP 4.10.1 is out but starting testing now would be better) and
sending it to the patchbots, while putting a hold on any other
non-critical fixes.

If for some reason that's impossible then we should quickly release a
Sage 8.6 that is focused primarily on GAP 4.10 compatibility.

Thanks,
Erik

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/ztLmB2xWFig/kWk7LGycCQAJ
[2] https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html