> On 11/01/2019, at 09:48, Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:
>
> On 2019-01-10 20:46, 'Julien Puydt' via sage-devel wrote:
>>

>> Le 10/01/2019 à 20:07, François Bissey a écrit :
>>> I have recently made the following change in sage-on-gentoo’s env.py
>>> _add_variable_or_fallback('SAGE_LOCAL',
>>> sysconfig.get_config_var("prefix”))
>>>
>>> which means SAGE_LOCAL is now pulled from the system rather than
>>> a seeded value (as it was before).
>>>

>> Perhaps upstream would accept such a trivial change?
>
> If you make a ticket for it, sure. But it won't help with SAGE_ROOT.
>
> By the way, why sysconfig.get_config_var("prefix”) instead of sys.prefix?

Because at least on gentoo sys.prefix (while correct) is a bit weird. It is
defined
relative to the real python executable which ends up being a strange location on
Gentoo due to the system to support multiple python.
/usr/lib/python-exec/python{2.7,3.6}/../../..

This is the right place but a bit confusing, sysconfig on the other hand always
return
something clearly understandable. There is another reason, SAGE_LOCAL is not
the
only thing I set using sysconfig

SINGULAR_SO = sysconfig.get_config_var("LIBDIR")+"/libSingular.”+extension

I used to have all those weird mechanism to deal with lib/lib64 (and who knows
what
is needed in debian). But really I have nothing against sys.prefix.

SAGE_ROOT is not needed at runtime for distros but it is definitely not the same
thing for “vanilla” as things stands. Since vanilla still insists on integration
with the build system and completely removing it, is hard in some parts.
Also it is quite deliberately set to None (and SAGE_LOCAL too) in vanilla -
probably
so you can’t run sage outside of a sage set environment.

François