> On 11/01/2019, at 05:04, E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you want to look-before-you-leap you could also check if
> `SAGE_ROOT` and `SAGE_LOCAL` are set to something reasonable in
> `os.environ`.

Just SAGE_LOCAL. SAGE_ROOT should only be needed for the packaging system
and possibly the doctests. I regard any needs for SAGE_ROOT at runtime
a bug.

> I have mentioned elsewhere (e.g. on
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/22652) that the sage.env module ought
> to be fixed upstream (that is, in the main Sage sources) so that it
> can actually work properly without having to set any special
> environment variables.

I have recently made the following change in sage-on-gentoo’s env.py
_add_variable_or_fallback('SAGE_LOCAL',      sysconfig.get_config_var("prefix”))

which means SAGE_LOCAL is now pulled from the system rather than
a seeded value (as it was before).

François