Hi Nadim,

On 2019-02-12, Nadim Rustom <restom.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The following shows a small memory leak:
> R.<X,Y> = ZZ[]
>

> P = (X+Y)^120*Y^100
>

> mem1 = get_memory_usage()
> for i in range(100):
>     Q = P(X,Y)
> mem2 = get_memory_usage()
>

> print mem2 - mem1
>

> whereas the following gives a much bigger memory leak:
>
> R.<X,Y> = ZZ[]
>

> P = (X+Y)^120*Y^100
>

> mem1 = get_memory_usage()
> for i in range(100):
>     Q = P(X,Y)
> mem2 = get_memory_usage()

The two examples are identical. Copy-and-paste error?

In any case, I can confirm that it leaks (and I am surprised that it
does), even if python's cyclic garbage collection is invoked explicitly.

> Additionally, I noticed that operations with multivariate polynomials are
> way faster on Sage 7.4 than on Sage 8.*. Is there any work around for this
> problem? I tried to search in the open tickets, the closest thing I could
> find is this:
>
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/13447
>
> Could this be what is causing these issues?

Certainly not, since #13447 is not merged yet.

Leaks could be in at least two places here:
  (1) An unsolicited reference chain that prevents a Sage polynomial
      from being garbage collected.
  (2) The underlying libsingular polynomial object is not freed when the
      Sage polynomial becomes collected.

#13447 tries to sanitize the refcounting of libsingular objects. So,
if anything, #13477 could have the potential to fix that memory leak.
And in addition, the examples given on the ticket show that it results
in a speed-up for creation and deletion of polynomials.

Before opening a new ticket for this issue, I'd like to test if #13477
helps with this issue.

Best regards,
Simon