I would guess that `libsingular' is the C++ kernel of Singular which does
not implement all strategies for GB's over Q. There are additional
strategies implemented both in Singular library code and in the Singular
interpreter. Presumably the `singular' interface is using the interpreter,
if not a Singular library, which makes use of more advanced strategies. In
particular there is a library for a modular approach.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/b32474cf-ef6a-4163-b96d-b9140c549921%40googlegroups.com.