A couple of remarks :

Le dimanche 17 février 2019 13:17:12 UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:48 Emmanuel Charpentier <emanuel.c...@gmail.com
> <javascript:> wrote:
>

>> Le dimanche 17 février 2019 09:34:10 UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :
>>>
>>> Our plan is to enable the use of the system R install in Sage - for this
>>> we need to understand whether there would be any problems for rpy2 if R
>>> used a different, from the one in Sage, Blas library.

We should be cautious with this one :

0.8.2 is our current reference because, AFAICT, it is the last version of
rpy2 that supports Python2. If/when our plans to switch to Python3 succed
(at last !), we should explore its newer versions. And switch to them if
practical. But their requirements for numerics may vary...

Quite probably : In order to use the rjags
>> <https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rjags/index.html> package
>> (interface to the JAGS <http://mcmc-jags.sourceforge.net/> Bayesian
>> modelling sampler, I had to use the Sage shell in order to compile and
>> install a version of JAGS in $SAGE_LOCAL : the system JAGS choked on
>> BLAS/LAPACK calls not available in Sage's libraries.
>>
>> Things would be much simpler if Sage used the systemwide numeric
>> libraries. I *think* that this is possible when these libraries are ATLAS :
>> pointing SAGE_ATLAS_LIB to the systemwide ATLAS library makes Sage use
>> them. ISTR that Erik Madison Bray recommended this to compile Sage on
>> Cygwin (but I lost the reference to the relevant Sage Wiki post...).
>>
>> My question was to know if this is possible when openblas provides the
>> systemwide numerical libraries...
>>

> Not at the moment, but there are plans to make it possible.
> One should do more spkg-configure.m4 along the lines of #27212, where this
> is done for gmp and mpir.

Is that possible for all of the current packages in Sage-the distribution ?
Depending on one set (or possibly a coice of sets) of numerical libraries
would allow us to get rid of them in Sage-the-distribution, which should
lighten it considerably...

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 13:40 Emmanuel Charpentier <emanuel.c...@gmail.com