Apparently I now SageMath doesn't work anymore. If I try to start the
Jupyter kernel for Sage
I now get errors about libntl.so.33 (see the log file attached).
Something I found confusing was why ntl and python even, were built
throughout the installation
of polymake. Those two (ntl,python) were already available.

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 11:20:16 AM UTC+3, jplab wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Polymake had some issues with gcc 7 in the past. I do not know if the
> following could help you:
>
> https://forum.polymake.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=579
>
> The latest version (3.4) of polymake is very close to be in Sage:
>
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24905
>
> Compilation was tested on macOS Mojave, debian stable and ArchLinux. It
> would be great if you could test this
> branch on your computer and let us know if it worked on your OS (either
> here or on the ticket discussion page).
>
> Best regards,
> Jean-Philippe
>

> Le mardi 7 mai 2019 00:03:10 UTC+2, stefan...@gmail.com a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking at the sagemath package called "polymake".
>>
>> I tried to install it in SageMath 8.7 and it pulled polymake 3.1
>>
>> I'm attaching the log. I believe the relevant portion is this:
>>
>> reference to an undeclared variable $err_prefix at
>> /home/user/SageMath/local/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake/utils.pl line
>> 198.
>> Compilation failed in require at
>> /home/user/SageMath/local/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake.pm line 61.
>> Compilation failed in require at /home/user/SageMath/local/bin/polymake
>> line 162.
>>

>> Most of the build goes through rather well, but at the end, this perl
>> build script seems to fail.
>> I tried to skim through the referenced files utils.pl (line 198) and
>> Polymake.pm (line 61) and apparently
>> it implements a custom way of declaring variables through a keyword
>> that's called "declare" which is
>> not part of the Perl language and is custom-built for polymake's build
>> system.
>>
>> I wasn't able to figure out the problem, but I'm writing here so others
>> can have a look.
>> Does this package build for someone else?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stefan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/67c6e5e8-5ae7-4d8d-a5d9-7812c883f685%40googlegroups.com.
[I 23:08:21.943 NotebookApp] KernelRestarter: restarting kernel (4/5), new
random ports
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 174, in
_run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/repl/ipython_kernel/__main__.py",
 line 3, in <module>
    IPKernelApp.launch_instance(kernel_class=SageKernel)
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/traitlets/config/application.py",
 line 657, in launch_instance
    app.initialize(argv)
  File "<decorator-gen-121>", line 2, in initialize
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/traitlets/config/application.py",
 line 87, in catch_config_error
    return method(app, *args, **kwargs)
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipykernel/kernelapp.py",
line 465, in initialize
    self.init_kernel()
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipykernel/kernelapp.py",
line 376, in init_kernel
    user_ns=self.user_ns,
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/traitlets/config/configurable.py",
 line 412, in instance
    inst = cls(*args, **kwargs)
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/repl/ipython_kernel/kernel.py",
 line 52, in __init__
    SageJupyterCustomizations(self.shell)
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/repl/ipython_extension.py",
 line 433, in __init__
    import sage.all # until sage's import hell is fixed
  File "/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/all.py",
line 83, in <module>
    from sage.misc.all       import *         # takes a while
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/misc/all.py", line
84, in <module>
    from .functional import (additive_order,
  File
"/home/user/SageMath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/misc/functional.py",
 line 27, in <module>
    from sage.rings.complex_double import CDF
  File "sage/rings/integer.pxd", line 7, in init sage.rings.complex_double
(build/cythonized/sage/rings/complex_double.c:23681)
    cdef class Integer(EuclideanDomainElement):
ImportError: libntl.so.33: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory