On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 5:49 PM Colby Kelln <cke...@umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> $ pkg-config --libs libpng
>
> -L/usr/local/Cellar/libpng/1.6.34/lib -lpng16 -lz
>

> and
>

> $ pkg-config --cflags libpng
>
> -I/usr/local/Cellar/libpng/1.6.34/include/libpng16

Thanks. Can you just uninstall it? Then building Sage should work one
way or another.
IIRC, MacOS 10.13/14 has its own libpng, which is good enoug: e.g.
Homebrew links its libraries against the system's one, (And if memory
fails me here then Sage will biuld its own libpng)

The problem with libpng in /usr/local/Cellar/libpng/1.6.34/ is that
it's a very non-standard location, and
the only way to use it is to either rely on pkg-config all the way, or
copy this location into (say) src/bin//sage-env-config and use it.

Hmm, the current way of using pkg-configure's macros  in
spkg-configure.m4 files is flaky:
if the location of the package known to pkg-configure is non-standard,
chances are it won't get picked,
as this libpng example shows...

Dima

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAAWYfq1PHmtFdEvp8Fc0q-yPpiE6SiyDo4%2B8n9HMW8hSj3gS_g%40mail.gmail.com.