On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 7:09:29 AM UTC-8, David Roe wrote:

> I'm not sure what kind of equality you would imagine, but if we defined
> equality by something like "equal absolute precision and equal value modulo
> that absolute precision" then you no longer have additive and
> multiplicative inverses.  For example, if x = 1 + O(3^18) then there is no
> value of y so that x+y == 0.  That's pretty devastating for thinking about
> algebraic operations.
>
> There is also the more computer-science type equality: will these two
numbers lead to the same results if substituted in otherwise identical
computations. This can be relevant for testing algorithmic aspects of what
you're doing. That means asking: do the elements have the same valuation,
digits, and precision (i.e., are they represented by the same p-adic disc).
This requires some kind of normalization of 0-centered discs to be
well-defined.

I think at the moment you can get a tuple capturing this information by
something like

   x.__reduce__()[1][1:][1:]

but this is obviously not very robust if pickle formats change. I would
have expected canonicalized construction parameters to be available
efficiently somehow, but I didn't find an interface routine for it easily.
(I don't have an immediate need for them and I could work around it if I
did, but perhaps it's worth including -- and perhaps it's already there and
I didn't find it).