[re-posting a reply from a week ago that apparently did not go through
because gmane was moving]

Nils Bruin wrote:
> This model has the advantage that (sqrt(1+t)^2 -1)/t == 1 returns
> true, as one would expect mathematically.

Do you mean it has the advantage that cos(sin(tan(t^2)) -
tan(sin(t^2))) == 1 returns True, as one would expect mathematically?
;-)

Joking aside, if I hadn't be hit by that issue before, I would also
expect to be able to trust equality more than that. And I would
interpret the presence of an explicit O() term as a strong indication
that inexact series won't be considered equal to anything.

Perhaps more importantly, I find the fact that series and p-adics (but
not intervals and balls) are doing that problematic for writing generic
code. Suppose that a is a symbolic expression, or an element of any
other parent where inequality is not decidable. Would you expect
a.is_zero() to return True whenever Sage is unable to prove that a is
nonzero? If not, what can code written for generic coefficient rings do
to work with both expressions and series?

Regarding power series in particular, the structure where
cos(sin(tan(t^2)) - tan(sin(t^2))) == 1 exists and makes perfect sense,
but it's the ring of polynomials mod t^20, not the ring of power series
with precision 20.

--
Marc