Don't get me wrong. I would greatly prefer if RR would detect the
ill-conditioned cases as well, but, as it stands, this is not implemented.
Neither LU nor QR decompositions are supported for RR, so it is not easy to
change this. The default implementation for solve_right just computes an
echelonization.

Putting a warning in the except clause might be a good first step indeed, as it
should at least detect the case of a matrix that is singular to machine
precision.

For the record, this is what Matlab does in these cases:

    >> linsolve([0], [1])
    Warning: Matrix is singular to working precision.

    ans =

       Inf

    >> linsolve([0], [0])
    Warning: Matrix is singular to working precision.

    ans =

       NaN