John Cremona wrote:
On 10 June 2014 09:53, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
John Cremona wrote:

On 9 June 2014 23:55, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the investigative work!

Using the terminal echo isn't really a solution, maybe it doesn't fail as
often but it cannot work all the time. The terminal echo can and will
occasionally (rarely) be interleaved with the stdout.

Did I mention that I hate pexpect ;-)

I would be happy to reduce the number of pexpect interfaces by 1 by
removing that interface to mwrank.  It is redundant since we have a
library interface (and "sage -mwrank" if you really want to use it
like that).

How many others are there?

Well, at least

  * GAP -> now libGAP
  * Singular -> libs/singular
  * Maxima (via ECL library)
  * PARI[/GP] (not really used via pexpect I think)

Yes it is.  We have at least one piece of important functionality (for
elliptic curve people) provided via a gp script.  In facto
src/etc/pari contains 3 such, and I use at least 2 of them!

[src/ext/pari/ that is, formerly "extcode/...".]

Shouldn't be a problem.  gp2c ...?  :P

(I've been wondering for a while why Sage doesn't ship it, but we wouldn't have to if we convert the scripts either.)

The (pretty static) scripts could presumably be reimplemented in Cython, too, but that'd certainly be more work.

  * Lcalc?

I though that was a library.

./sage --sh -c 'lcalc --help'
lcalc 1.22 July 14, 2009

This program computes zeros and values of L-function.

Usage: lcalc [OPTIONS]...

   ... (pages of output)

The version number printed is /of course/ wrong... ;-)

The library interface is relatively new IIRC.

-leif

R isn't used in Sage library code AFAIK.

Not sure whether the library interfaces offer the full functionality [yet].

I'm all in favour of removing calls through the pexpect interface from
ordinary Sage library code.

-leif

--
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign