On 03/14/2015 03:13 PM, William Stein wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 5:40 AM, Marc Mezzarobba <m...@mezzarobba.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know the release policy with respect to optional
>> packages, but with 6.6.beta5:
>
> I don't think we have one.   I wish we did, but it's a matter of
> resources, and being release manager is already a huge amount of work.

I thought we used to have one, namely that RCs and of course final
releases (but not alphas/betas) are supposed to work with *any* optional
package, otherwise an optional package would simply become experimental
again (in the worst case only of course); but I fail to find that policy
in the old release management documentation [1] at least... ;-)

It's not necessarily up to the release manager to include all optional
packages in (late) release tests; IMHO an optional package's
/maintainer/ should occasionally test whether it still works with
current betas, and always make sure it does work with RCs.  In case it
doesn't, that's worth a blocker ticket, solved by either fixing the
issue or -- as a last resort -- by removing it from the optional
packages list as mentioned.

W.r.t. the buildbots:  Besides increased testing time, AFAIK not all
optional packages can be tested at once, i.e. one would need a couple of
(?) different sets of optional packages to be tested one after the other.

-leif

[1] http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/ReleaseManagement