> > I don't think we have one.   I wish we did, but it's a matter of
> > resources, and being release manager is already a huge amount of work.

Yes

> I thought we used to have one, namely that RCs and of course final
> releases (but not alphas/betas) are supposed to work with *any* optional

That would also be reasonable, but as said, resources.

> It's not necessarily up to the release manager to include all optional
> packages in (late) release tests; IMHO an optional package's
> /maintainer/ should occasionally test whether it still works with
> current betas, and always make sure it does work with RCs.  In case it

Unfortunately, in reality many optional packages don't really have a
maintainer, and if they do it is someone who doesn't have the time to check
it on every single release.

Here is a (hopefully) practical suggestion: for packages that do have
actual maintainers (now that I think some people have scrubbed the files of
some old names), perhaps part of a release script could be to send an email
automatically to all optional package maintainers when a candidate is
called Sage x.y.z.rcn to say "please test at least that the current version
of the optional package still passes tests on this".  I assume this could
be fairly easily automated, and at least for William's list of packages
might be a short enough list not to burden excessively.

- kcrisman

PS please add "gambit" to that optional list, and to SMC, as I suspect that
will start getting more frequent use.