Another data point : to solve another problem, I recompiled Sage from a
pristine git clone ... and got the same error as William did. Simply
importing the conway_polynomials tarball from the upstream directory of
another Sage tree in the "pristine" upstream allowed to recompile ( make
distclean &&make ) a Sage that passes ptestlong with no errors.

It seems that the build system can build conway_polynomials, but fails to
download it if not present, and (worse), fails *silently* : it does not
report its absence at software-compilation time, but only at
doc-compilation time.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier