Hey Simon,
   Sorry for my delay, I was on a transpacific flight and recovering from
that.

> On 2017-08-17, tsc...@ucdavis.edu <javascript:> <tsc...@ucdavis.edu
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >> What kind of polynomials is involved in that test? libsingular?
> >
> > I believe they are the generic polynomials:
> >
> > sage: type(M.some_elements()[3]._x)
> ><class
> >
> 'sage.rings.polynomial.polynomial_ring.PolynomialRing_field_with_category.element_class'
>

> Hm. Then I wonder how one could speed-up the coefficient mapping.
> map_coefficients
> is cython already. Certainly for things like libsingular polynomials it
> would be
> a *lot* faster to not use the generic implementation, that's why I was
> asking.
>
> It is in a cython file, but it is not a cpdef method. However, I think
avoiding dict() (and using .iteritems() instead of items() because it is
Cython [so it is still Py3 compatible]) for non-sparse polynomials is good.
Actually, as you suggest, using the specific data structures would likely
be a lot faster. Do you want to start work on this, which I will happily
review, or do you want me to?

Best,
Travis