> On 10/02/2018, at 21:25, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
>
> Here are reports that with clang things won't work in different ways
> (e.g., IIUC, segfaults in linbox on openSuse). Does that mean clang is
> buggy resp. not mature enough, or does that mean clang uncovers real
> bugs that are silently ignored by gcc?

Sometimes it uncovers GNUisms. Where you are relying on the behaviour of
the compiler rather than the standard. Bugs, quite possibly, I’d have to
go through the ticket for a memory refresh.
The segfault over linbox I think is because not all installation of clang
are equal. You can have a full clang with clang’s libc++ for standard c++
library. Or has breed like opensuse where clang use libstdc++ from gcc -
in this case 4.8. I think what’s happening there is that linbox has gone
full c++11 but libstdc++ from gcc-4.8 has only partial support.

> And if I want to give it a try: Currently I have a SageMath installation
> compiled with gcc. Does it suffice to "make clean" before starting
> re-installation of SageMath with clang? Or "make distclean"?

make distclean
definitely.

François