May I argue that we should aim at being able to use *UN*sophisticated
developers (such as, well... myself) ?

There is a *lot* of "maintenance" tasks  in Sage that can use (relatively)
ignorant people. For example, maintaining Sage ports of well-understood
packages (such as Maxima or, in my case, R) does not need extreme level of
sophistication ; delegating these tasks to people able to follow some
guidelines, read and interpret error messages and propose reasonably clean
patches allow people who *are* sophisticated to use their time at more
difficult tasks...

Therefore, I think that contributing to Sage should not *require* a
sophisticated understanding of the finer points of git care and feeding...

--
Emmanuelk Charpentier