On 16/05/2018 12:34, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

Le mercredi 16 mai 2018 10:06:22 UTC+2, vdelecroix a écrit :

[ Snip... ]

This would indeed be terrible. But to my mind, this should not happen.

Vincent, you are underestimating the power of human stupidity (at least
mine...). And that's a sure-fire recipe for catastrophes.

You will never have write access to this branch anyway (only the release
manager would). So I don't see your point here.

To make it clear: the branch "develop" and "integration" that are
discussed in the other part of the thread would be read-only by all
users.

- "develop" is intended to be used by developers like you and is meant
  as a perpetual beta. It will be similar as what it is today
  except that it will change more often.

- "integration" is intended to be used by bots only to check whether
  a given positively reviewed ticket is worth a merge. It has no
  reason to be used by any human.

At least two reasons for the change are:

 - less burden for developers (they can rebase when it is needed and
   do not have to wait for "next beta")
 - less burden for the release manager

Vincent