On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 3:37:50 PM UTC-7, Volker Braun wrote:

> As always, you can get the latest beta version from the "develop" git
> branch. Alternatively, the self-contained source tarball is at
> http://www.sagemath.org/download-latest.html
>
> It is nearing the end of the 8.9 merge window, so if you want something
> merged then this is your last chance.

I would like to see #28334 and #28403 merged (the second will have a
positive review within a day or so, unless we hear objections). I would
also like #27967 to be resolved and merged, but unfortunately I don't know
the timetable. I would ask you to keep an eye on it, and if it has a
positive review soon, please merge it. After those three tickets, assuming
no regressions, all tests would pass with Python 3 on OS X, or at least on
the OS X machines I have access to.

> I'm inclined to name the next version 9.0. In particular, we now have
> Python 3 support that, while not perfect, is at least usable so we should
> mark that with a new major version. Also point-9 is a natural place to
> switch. If you want to voice your opinion on that issue: now is the time ;-)

+1

With 9.0.beta0, do we make building with Python 3 the default? All
developers are using it by now, right? Right?

--
John