No, that is not correct.  The fundamental issue is the size of the
compressed file.  And this is an issue with documentation, not with
arbitrary graphics.  The matplotlib images in the Sage documentation do not
involve millions of lines of svg code.  The svg files are small to start
with and compress very efficiently.  Of course it would be possible to
generate images which are naturally rasterized and would be very
inefficiently represented by svg.  But that is not happening with the
matplotlib images in the documentation.

- Marc