Hi William,

Thank you for your reply.  I read mabshoff's link but it doesn't have
any guidance for me.  My machine with SAGE on it is dedicated to work
and does not have any extraneous software on it.  SAGE 2.8 worked fine
doing much more memory intesive work than the problem that made it
crash.  It does not crash immediately so I might be able to make
ubuntu.vmdk smaller.  Would you please tell me the steps?  I have only
been using the notebook since upgrading from an earlier colinux
version.  Should I use notebook when I shink the file or should I do
it from a SAGE command line?

David