On Nov 28, 6:13 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 9:04 AM, Jonathan Hanke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I had a few questions related to the notebook:
>
> > How does one "unpublish" a notebook?  I have "published" one on my MacBook
> > (which makes firefox redirect to a page that it cannot read), and I don't
> > know how to get it back.  I tried to restart the notebook server but it
> > didn't help.
>
> I don't think I implemented unpublishing a notebook yet, so I think
> you can't unpublish a notebook.

Ok.  I tried your fix:

        cd SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/
        rm sage-wiki
        hg update
        cd SAGE_ROOT
        ./sage -br

and it worked.  Thanks!

> > How does the notebook process LaTeX \begin{equation}...\end{equation}
> > environments and process paragraph breaks?  I had to resort to putting
> > things into an "array" environement with forced \qquad indents to make the
> > output look reasonably nice.
>
> If we're talking about text in edit mode between cells, the notebook
> doesn't process arbitrary latex.  It processes tex equations in $'s or $$'s.
> You can make
> %slide
> and
> %latex
> cells that actually run latex and produce an image.  That might be useful.
>
> Using html like you suggest above sounds like a fine idea, since after all
> you're creating html, which just happens to have formulas in it.

I was actually trying to typeset a "._latex_(self)" method that looked
really nice,
but I wanted to use text and math mode together to center certain
things.  I was
having trouble centering some things, and left-aligning others (via
embedded "align"s),
so I ended up left-aligning everything and indenting.  It looks ok in
the notebook, but
in a LaTeX document it may look weird because some things are not
indented enough.

> > Why doesn't the LaTeX "cases" environment giant "{" not typeset properly?
>
> jsmath.  It's not latex.  It's an implementation of the tex formula
> layout engine
> in javascript.
>
> > It appears as a bunch of stacked question marks.  Perhaps there is a way of
> > upgrading the jsmath or its fonts in SAGE to fix this?
>
> You should certainly install the jsmath fonts if you haven't already.
>
> > I am using a MacBook
> > running OS 10.4 with Sage 2.8.14.  Thanks,
>
> Actually fonts could be a problem.  Post an example and I'll let you know.

Here are two examples.  The first one typesets the big left-brace
correctly, but the second one produces "?"s.

## EXAMPLE 1: (This works)
%latex
\[
\text{SAGE is }
\begin{cases}
Cool & \text{if you like HTML notebooks,} \\\
Fun & \text{if you want to compute something quickly!}
\end{cases}
\]

## EXAMPLE 2: (This fails)
class test(SageObject):

    def __init__(self):
        pass

    def _latex_(self):
        latex_str = r"|x| = \begin{cases}" + "\n"
        latex_str += r"x & \text{if } x>0 \newline " + "\n"
        latex_str += r"0 & \text{if } x = 0 \newline " + "\n"
        latex_str += r"-x & \text{if } x < 0 \newline " + "\n"
        latex_str += r"\end{cases}"

        return latex_str

T = test()
view(T)

> I should point out that there has been essential 0 development on the notebook
> during the last six months.   It is probably going to be time for a notebook
> coding sprint sometime soon.   What are people's top 3 requests for things
> to be implemented.   I think mine are:
>    (1) a way to empty the trash. :-)
>    (2) sagenb.org is I *think* slow because there are over 1000
> registered users, and somehow having a lot of user accounts seems to
> seriously impact performance.  sagenb.com is still snappy in
> comparison.  Fix this.
>    (3) Add support for editing the html between cells without having
> to switch to edit mode. E.g., clicking to the left on a thin vertical
> line would change the html between cells into a plain text edit box,
> you edit, and click the button to the left again to get back the html
> view.
>
>  -- william

I would also request some thought be given to the problem of quickly
navigating to the end of the last of a cell.  I habitually want to
type
(down-arrow) (left-arrow) from the beginning of the last line, which
doesn't work.  This could be fixed by either:

    a) Forcing a blank line at the end of every cell.
    b) Allowing the left/right-arrow keys to move between
            adjacent cells.

It would also be nice to be able to collapse cells (both individual
input and output cells, and all input cells collectively).