On Dec 10, 2007 12:26 PM, Andrzej Giniewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK...
>
> so I removed this file, and it is now never... well... seems that at
> switch from experimental to optional something went wrong on my local
> machine... now it says:
>
> sage: import rpy
> sage: rpy.r

> /opt/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rpy.py in __repr__(self)
>     321
>     322     def __repr__(self):
> --> 323         Rver = self.__getitem__('R_version_string')
>     324         return "RPy version %s [%s]" % (rpy_version, Rver)
>     325
>
> /opt/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rpy.py in
> __getitem__(self, name)
>     304     def __getitem__(self, name):
>     305         # use r's 'get' function here, because the rpy one
> only handles functions!
> --> 306         obj = self.__dict__[name] = self.__dict__.get(name,
> self.get(name))
>     307         return obj
>     308
>
> <class 'rpy.RPy_RException'>: Error in function (x, pos = -1, envir =
> as.environment(pos), mode = "any",  :
>   variable "R_version_string" was not found
>
> I remember I had same problem with experimental, I had to change
> underscore to dot in name, and it was also on RPy mailing list for few
> people... anyway I don't know if this is still some remaining part of
> old version, or new... I'm going to build clean sage and then get this
> package... will report back when it will be ready but it will take
> some time...
>
> sorry for troubles, didn't thought it can be old-file-problem,

I'm sorry for the troubles you're having, and greatly appreciate
that your testing the R spkg.      That rpy doesn't overwrite
old files, etc., is something I'll have to keep in mind when we make
new spkg's that include new versions of R and rpy -- we'll have
to be careful to delete the old rpy files manually.

 -- William