On Dec 4, 2007 8:17 AM, Andrzej Giniewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I was able to get the image to work last time I tried, so it's definitely
> > possible.
>
> when I do sage: r.png() I get:
>
> <class 'rpy.RException'>: Error in function (filename = "Rplot
> %03d.png", width = 480, height = 480,  :
>   X11 is not available
>
> and well...... that's both from console and notebook, and from plain
> R /opt/sage/local/bin/R... just like if it was compiled without
> graphics support, probably it could work if --with-x11 or so... and it
> seem it's the case because of hack from spkg-install:
>
> # I have problems with this on OSX Intel 10.5.1 -- for now just turn
> it off.
> # It will be good to get something fully working before worrying about
> X.
> #if [ -f /usr/include/X11/Xwindows.h ]; then
> #    XSUPPORT=yes
> #else
> XSUPPORT=no
> #fi
>
> so from it I guess images are left for later :) as I'm on Linux I will
> uncomment this to test them.

(1) I very much  thought that I had done graphics with the above
build options using png.  Without those options R will definitely fail
to build on many test platforms, by the way.

(2) I don't see why X11 should be necessary to generate png files
using R -- the whole point of png's should be to avoid having to
use X11.

That said, I could be wrong about some of the above.  Does R really
require X11 as a dependency just to do png graphics?  That would suck.

OK -- I just retested this on my *linux* install, and indeed, creating
png's doesn't work because of no X11.  How annoying.

William