On Dec 12, 2007 2:44 PM, pgdoyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To get back to the question of argument order, it seems strange to me
> that
> pari(2).besselk(3)
> should meant K_2(3) rather than K_3(2).
>
> sage: pari(2).besselk(3)
> 0.06151045847174203765682007145
> sage: bessel_K(2,3)
> 0.0615104584717420
>
> bessel_K(nu,x) is written K_nu(x) because the first argument nu is in
> some sense a parameter - in many cases an integer - identifying
> K_nu as the nu'th Bessel function of type K.  So I would naively
> imagine that
> pari(2).besselk(3)
> would mean `take the 3rd bessel function and apply it to 2'.
>
> Is there some general philosophy that dictates the opposite behavior?
> Like, say, "f(x,y) always translates to x.f(y)"?

Yes.  In all of the interfaces, "f(x,y) *always* translates to x.f(y)".  In most
situations this is the most natural choice.

> As a preview of an issue I'll raise in a separate post, note that Sage
> is not giving us its best with bessel_K:
>
> sage: bessel_K(2+I,3+I)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> TypeError: Unable to convert x
> (='0.043192827269587267-0.040059538066532876*I') to real number.
>
> The answer here is correct, and the only problem is that Sage was
> expecting the result to be a real number.

Fix it and submit a patch :-).  The think the special functions could
be greatly improved.

I'll actually be posting a vague pie in the sky grant proposal to
sage-* for feedback in about 3 or 4 days
about improving special functions in Sage....

william