Micheal suggested replacing all "#random's" by "..." and
William seconded this. Then William suggested adding the scip option to
the functions implemented. This has been done as well.
The patch passes "sage -t" has some examples added and some
docstring typos fixed. It can be found at:
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wdj/patches/special_16-02-2008.hg
Should I make a ticket for this?

On Dec 12, 2007 7:09 PM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007 3:18 PM, pgdoyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > I'll actually be posting a vague pie in the sky grant proposal to
> > > sage-* for feedback in about 3 or 4 days
> > > about improving special functions in Sage....
> > >

> > This sounds like a very good idea.  One of the main things I worry
> > about missing from Mathematica is all the special functions.
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> If you haven't already, you should also try doing:
>
> sage: import scipy.special
> sage: scipy.special.[tab key]
>
> There's a *massive* number of double precision special functions
> included in sage via scipy.
>
> Even better, take a look at this page:
>
>    http://new.scipy.org/SciPyPackages/Special
>
> There's a list of over 15 families of Bessel functions.  We have not
> yet done anything to make these easy to use from Sage yet -- which
> for me means:
>    (1) adding *lots* of examples,
>    (2) wrapping them so they behave well with respect to Sage data types
>    (3) Given them plot methods, and symbolic support.
> In particular, you may want to turn of preparsing before using them or
> explicitly coerce the inputs to native python types (e.g., float,
> complex, etc.).
> Here is an example:
>
> sage: import scipy.special
> sage: scipy.special.yv?
> Type:           ufunc
> Base Class:     <type 'numpy.ufunc'>
> String Form:    <ufunc 'yv'>
> Namespace:      Interactive
> Docstring:
>     y = yv(x1,x2) y=yv(v,z) returns the Bessel function of the second
> kind of real
>     order v at complex z.
> sage: scipy.special.yv(int(2),complex(0,1))
> (1.03440456978-0.135747669767j)

How is this converted to sage?