On Jan 16, 10:23 pm, BFJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I don't know whether to post about this here, or file a
> bug report, or something else. I'm new to community developed
> software. Let me know if this isn't the right place to report the
> following.
>
> I'm using sage 2.9.2 and 2.9.3 on different (both PPC) machines, both
> running OS X 10.4.
> Consider the following commands which should expand an elementary
> symmetric function as a polynomial in 3 variables:

<SNIP>

Hi BJF,

I can reproduce the problem with 2.9.3, but it is fixed in
2.10.alpha3:

| SAGE Version 2.10.alpha3, Release Date: 2008-01-14                 |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |

sage: sage: k=SFAElementary(QQ)
sage: sage: f=k([2])
sage: sage: f.expand(3)
x0*x1 + x0*x2 + x1*x2
sage:

Mike Hansen did post a patch that was merged early on in 2.10.alpha2
or so. He might be able to tell you if the bug was fixed "on purpose"
or "by accident". 2.10 should be out by the weekend or maybe Monday.
Alpha3 is available at

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-2.10/sage-2.10.alpha3.tar

Mike: could you add a doctest that tests this behavior?

> Similar commands, but on objects from SFASchur, SFAPower, SFAMonomial,
> etc.., work perfectly. It seems to be only SFAElementary that has a
> problem.

> Thanks,
>
> BFJ

Cheers,