Hi Andy,

I had the exact same question a few days ago.  There are
many issues involved here, but the short answer to your
question (provided by Carl Witty) is:

you can plot x^(1/3) with

show(plot(lambda x : RR(x).nth_root(3), -10, 10), figsize=[5,5],
ymin=-10, ymax=10)

You don't need to specify xmin and xmax in show since they're
given in the plot command.

Best,
Alex

Andy wrote:
| I am interested in the use of Sage as a teaching tool at all grade
| levels.  At the moment, I'm trying to weave Sage into an introductory
| algebra curriculum.
|
| I can graph all the basic functions with plot(x), replacing x with
| x^2, x^3, 1/x, etc.  The one I can't get to work is x^(1/3).  I've
| tried to express the cube root function several different ways.  The
| expression I'm using now is:
|
| sage:
| show(plot(x^(1/3),-10,10),figsize=[5,5],xmin=-10,xmax=10,ymin=-10,ymax=10)
|
| I receive the error message  "TypeError: 'float' object is
| unsubscriptable"
|
| Also, is the expression above the most succinct way to generate a
| graph with this kind of view, x and y ranging -10 to 10?
|
| Thanks for any advice.
|
| Andy
| |

- --