On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Lars Fischer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hello Chris,
>
>  at the moment I am thinking about a related question and I came up
>  with this suggestions. They are for windows in general and not for
>  IDLE. My preferred suggestion is 3.) . But I didn't try any of them,
>  since I am using linux.
>
>  My suggestions are :
>  1.)
>  inside vmware apt-get emacs + xorg + configure xorg and run everything
>  inside the vm.
>  Not good as it will require Linux-skills and then you can also start
>  with installing some linux distribution (including X) inside a vm and
>  then add sage.
>
>  2.)
>  As the others suggested: set up network shares in Windows, mount them
>  in the vm. Edit with a windows-editor and attach via the mounted
>  share.
>  Requires samba and samba setup inside the vm

Just to be clear this is *not* what I suggested.  VMware has
their own custom notion of "shared folders" between Linux
and Windows.  It is much much more robust and faster than
samba, and doesn't require installing anything into the vm.
It's very impressive and robust.

>  3.)
>  - install emacs in Windows,
>  - install tramp-mode for emacs (if it did not come with your emacs).
>  This gives a summary:
>  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000983.html, instead of /
>  myserver:public_html/foo.html, you should be able to do <ip address of
>  sage-vm>:myfile.sage and the ip-address would be the ip you use to
>  access the notebook.
>
>  Questions:
>  -Is a ssh server running in the vm?

Yes.

Your suggesting to use tramp mode for emacs is pretty interesting.
If anybody gets it to work, I would be happy to hear about it and
add instructions to the README.txt...

>  I think I read that there is one
>  running. And you wrote that you access files with putty, so you
>  already have a ssh and you know the ip.
>  -Did you need to configure the virtual linux (e.g. install ssh) or did

An ssh server comes pre-installed.