I use Sage as the primary platform for an interdisciplinary course on
bioinformatics.  The students are a mix of math, biology, and
chemistry graduate students (and a small number of undergraduates).  I
use (and largely maintain) the biopython spkg for sage.  For more
detail than you want, you can look at the course homepage:

http://www.d.umn.edu/~mhampton/m5233s8.html

Cheers,
Marshall Hampton