I'm using a Mac Book running OS X.4.11. I downloaded sage-2.10.3-
osx10.4-intel-i386-Darwin.dmg, then followed the instructions in both
the readme file and the video tutorial. When I double-click on the
sage icon, instead of getting the dialog only half visible and glossed
over in the video, I get one that says: There is no default
application specified to open the document "sage". (Cancel) (Choose
Applicaton...)

After searching through the forums, I tried renaming the icon to
sage.bin, which caused stuffit to estimate hundreds of thousands of
hours to unpack it, then realize it couldn't do anything when I tried
to move the dialog box. I tried to run sage from the Terminal, but it
just says "-bash: sage: command not found". I tried renaming the icon
to sage.app - still no luck. I dredged up some ancient unix knowledge
and tried chmod, man chmod, got stuck in less, finally got out with
the idea that h might give me help, noticed somewhere that ls had an
option to show flags, and was able to list the flags on the sage icon
to show all the executable flags are set. Then I noticed somewhere
that an explicit path placed before an executable caused it to be run
from that path, so I tried: . sage
You must compile SAGE first using 'make' in the SAGE root directory.
(If you have already compiled SAGE, you must set the SAGE_ROOT
variable in
the file '-bash').
[Process exited - exit code 1]

At this point I could not figure out how to get control of the
terminal window, and so had to dismiss it.

I searched in vane for the file -bash.

I normally run Windows XP on this Mac using VMWare Fusion, and had
first considered installing the Windows version of Sage, but on
reading that it would be running under VMWare, it seemed to me better
to run it directly under OS X. At this point, I was beginning to
reconsider.

Going to sage-support, I didn't find anything close to this problem,
so I started writing this message.
After recreating the above examples, I launched a new Terminal window
and tried: ./sage
| SAGE Version 2.10.3, Release Date: 2008-03-11                      |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
The SAGE install tree may have moved.
Regenerating Python.pyo and .pyc files that hardcode the install PATH
(please wait at most a few minutes)...
Please do not interrupt this.
Setting permissions of DOT_SAGE directory so only you can read and
write it.

sage:

Please investigate and update the tutorial video and readme file so
others won't be so encumbered.