On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Joel B. Mohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 April 2008 04:45:16 pm alex clemesha wrote:
> > With respect to the 'goal' of Sage's plotting (follow Mma),
> > I would say this is definitley a bug.
> >
> > People with 'violent' feelings about this apsect of the plotting
> > might want to change certain features of the plot code once and for all
> :)
>
> Well, as I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread, I wasn't sure what
> was
> intentional design.
>
> This thread
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/c7445f921c8f0e85/1c7420b369bc7baa
> left me quite confused when I complained the first time.
>
> I do have a patch which I apply everytime I have a critical output quality
> plotting session.  Actually, that patch is in the mentioned thread.  It's
> quick and dirty, but it removes all extra margins (I think it has to touch
> 3
> places in the code -- i.e. 3 extra margin padding code-points -- really
> quite
> grotesque, and, I couldn't believe it was all by accident.)
>
> This is why I think this thread right here is quite ironic -- you all
> suddenly
> seem to be agreeing with me about margins ...

Hi,
I do very much remember the above thread that you mention,
and I also like to say thanks for bringing up these kinds of issues,
it's how the code gets better!

When I wrote the first round of the plotting code, I had automated
scripts that made 10's (100's even) plots with different parameters,
and I tried to tweak the code to make everything look as "nice"
as possible. "nice" and "precise" aren't really the same thing :)

Changes to Sage's plotting code, as well as changes to matplotlib
have surely made some things different today.

Probably if you make some changes to the plotting code,
and make some scripts that generate a bunch of plots give
different parameters, and show improvements, everyone would
agree to commit those changes!

If you where willing to do this, I for one would be very interested and
thankful.
You might find that generating tons of plots, then doing tweaking, is harder
than you think, but is well worth it.

-Alex