On Apr 16, 9:01 pm, terry-s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:27 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:21 AM, terry-s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > >  ok, I've tried out the instructions.
>
> > >  [1] On the desktop, the binary file downloaded and expanded ok, but I
> > >  get (different from before) error messages when I run ./sage
> > >  [screenful reproduced below].
>
> > That just means the binary is for a much older machine than yours.
> > You can either try a different linux binary, or wait for a Mandriva binary.
>
> --- Well if the binaries are for a restricted range of machines, then
> it would be
> helpful, if the webpages or documentation would actually say just what
> machines
> the binaries are for.

Your problem is that your glibc version does not match with the Debian
binary build on Athlon. Since nobody has asked for Mandriva binaries
in the past there are none. The outline how to get them produced has
been suggested, so the ball is not in out court any more.

Sage can easily be build from source; it is unfortunate that you do
not seem to have enough RAM to get that done, but we didn't write the
compiler. I would also doubt that you can build many other project
with 5 million lines of code with some portion written with templated C
++ code. That is just life.

> > >  [2] On the laptop, there is no longer enough room even to expand the
> > >  binary file, because of the 400MB debris left by the failed attempt to
> > >  compile from source.  If I could only know what it has installed on to
> > >  the disk, I would like to remove it.  (The failed compile attempt was
> > >  made in a branch directory off 'home'.  The total extra disk
> > >  utilization after the compile attempt was about 800 MB more than at
> > >  the start.  About 400MB of that was in the subdirectory where the
> > >  compile was done.  I've now deleted that.  But there remains an extra
> > >  400MB somewhere unidentified.  Any ideas on where to look would be
> > >  appreciated.)
>
> > Sage is 100% local.  It *does not* install any files anywhere else
> > on your hard drive unless you type "make install", and even then
> > the install only happens at the very end.  In other words, just delete
> > the directory where you tried to do the build, and it will be as
> > if you had never done anything.   Nice, eh?
>
> "As if I had never done anything".  Unfortunately that is not true, on
> the
> evidence of the state of my machine.
>
> Terry

Well, I am sure that unless *you* do something Sage does not touch
*any* file outside its own directory and $HOME/.sage. If for some
reason Sage did spew files all over the place I would like to hear
about it, but "the state of my machine" does not cut it for me and
that isn't something that can be debugged.

Cheers,

Michael