You were correct, it doesn't try to rebuild everything, just modules
that have changed.  However, I am now getting the following error
message:
running build_ext
building 'pyrna' extension
error: unknown file type '.pyx' (from 'pyrna.pyx')
sage: There was an error installing modified sage library code.

This error didn't occur during the first, complete build.  The only
thing I changed was adding a dummy function so that it would rebuild
the module.  Removing it doesn't affect the error, so I don't think it
is that.
Thomas